Friday 10 July 2015

I'll Start Tomorrow

I don't know about you, but I am unquestionably guilty of putting things off and then in retrospect making excuses about why I didn't do something. Honestly, most of the time I just forget but that still is no excuse. I owe it to myself to remember to do certain things, because eventually they all just pile up and I feel like I have an overwhelming amount of stuff to do. With a little organisation a lot of stress and guilt can be avoided.



The most common excuse for me is "I'll do it later", or "I'll start tomorrow". One example is my constant desire to begin a healthier lifestyle, exercising and eating healthier so I feel more confident in myself and my energy levels increase. Yet, this never happens. I just never do it. Because I am always making excuses. Enough is enough. So, if you have similar troubles and you're perpetually postponing things until a later date, such as, food shopping, cleaning, even really simple things like replying to a text keep reading for some tips to stay on top of your daily tasks and help you start doing today what you would usually leave till tomorrow. Granted, exercise is a tough one to stick to because it is so unbearable painful. Andy knows.



The number one thing that helps me and is also oddly satisfying: lists. I love lists. There is something about ticking a box, or crossing off a task that sets off a feeling of peace inside my soul. All is well with the world. At the start of the week write down all the things you want to accomplish that week, work goals, cleaning the house, finishing assignments, applying to courses, jobs etc. Then, whatever they may be, break them up into days and then as each day comes along you know you have a quota to fill. If you're anything like me and you blast through those tasks because it is reminiscent of achieving a sticker at school for good work then you will probably finish a few tasks assigned to the next day and you will feel excessively good about yourself. But that's okay, because you are being productive. This is a good tip for revision as well, it's a great way of keeping you on track, focused and motivated. You could do it with exercise, start small and then gradually do more throughout the week. Lists help with everything. I have a whiteboard which I use occasionally to organise my day and a Study Planner that I will now use to organise my life and not my class schedule.



The next important step you can take is developing a routine, when you don't have a job or any other pressing commitment (degree, school etc.) it can be difficult to have a structured routine. The simplest way to fix that is to make one, and make one that fits around your goals. I am currently in the midst of cleaning out my student house, which involves getting rid of a lot of stuff, I am also researching courses, volunteering positions, scheduling interviews whilst scanning the internet for suitable jobs. I am a total insomniac and because I am running on my own time I sleep whenever I want. Which is terrible for me, hence the reason I am writing this post ridiculously early in the morning. Therefore, a routine is so important. Wake up early, the earlier the better if you ask me, but I would settle for around eight or nine in the morning. Have breakfast and plan out your day, do you need to go to the bank or return something? Run your errands as early as possible, be dressed and ready for the day. When you return home you can tackle chores, research, cleaning, whatever. It's just important that you wake up and go to sleep at a reasonable time and that you leave the house at least once a day. This might seem really obvious to most people, but being a student I know I am not the only one reluctant to leave the house unless absolutely necessary.


The last thing I want to say is that by putting it off you are only effecting yourself. You will feel much better if you start now, ignore all those inane excuses and just get to it. You are your own worst enemy.. What are you going to do?

Best wishes,
Kiran

No comments:

Post a Comment